Diarrhea – simple remedies
Diarrhea remedies. Diarrhea occurs when there is something harmful in our body. The diarrhea is trying to defend the body and eliminate the harmful factor. Currently, the attitude in front of acute diarrhea is to let it run its course.
- Lactose intolerance is a common cause of diarrhea. Diarrhea occurs after you consume milk. A milk intolerance exists temporarily during a gastroenteritis, when there is an infection with intestinal parasites, when iron intake through diet is low. Avoid anything with lactose: dairy products, cheese (yogurt does not contain lactose).
- Lactose tolerance test: Do not eat dairy for 14 days and see if the diarrhea is gone. Then gradually add in your diet milk, so you will notice a threshold that when is exceed diarrhea occurs. Eat dairy products so as not to exceed the threshold of diarrhea.
- Drugs that give diarrhea: those containing magnesium and magnesium silicate (antacids). Other drugs that have as adverse effects diarrhea: antibiotics, quinidine, metformin, omeprazole, colchicine. Vitamin C in inadequate doses causes diarrhea.
- Diet: eat chicken soups and liquid foods (for hydration). Later gradually begin to add rice, bananas, mashed potatoes, yogurt. Light foods help the intestinal tract to rest during diarrhea.
- Avoid dehydration: consume plenty of fluids (especially liquids containing salt and sugar). These will replace the losses from diarrhea. At the pharmacy you can find rehydration preparations containing glucose and electrolytes.
- Foods to Avoid: beans, cabbage, bread, pasta, apples, pears, peaches, plums, corn, oats, potatoes, dairy products.
- Medical treatment for diarrhea: Imodium (Loperamid) is a preparation which can keep under control the diarrhea in case you need to go somewhere, but not recommended. Diarrhea should be allowed to run its course. If you have mild diarrhea take pectin products.
- Take the pill? If you have diarrhea there is the possibility that contraception is not absorbed in the body and thus not to make the desired effect. Be cautious during recovery after diarrhea and even a week after.