Treatments for phlebitis
Inflammation of the veins is called phlebitis (thrombophlebitis , thrombo – refers to blood clots).
There are 2 main types of phlebitis:
- Phlebitis of the deep veins – is the most dangerous disease;
- Superficial phlebitis – the common form and less serious, which we will describe below.
The most frequent cause of thrombosis are periods when you have no activity, when you are not moving: travel by plane, by car, resting after surgery. Phlebitis may occur in genetically predisposed people. If you have varicose veins, the risk is very high.
Recommended remedies for phlebitis:
- Are you taking combined oral contraceptives? The risk of thrombosis is 4 times higher than for those not taking these pills. Please note , if you give up these pills you must have an alternative contraceptive method.
- If you have gone through this disease the risk of rebound is very high. Before any surgery consult your doctor and avoid long roads.
- Elevated foot and warm compresses. Superficial phlebitis can be ameliorated by elevating the feet 30 cm above the heart level and put warm compresses on feet. Phlebitis will disappear after 7-10 days. Sometimes phlebitis can hold much more: 3-6 weeks.
- Walk: this activity will empty the veins and lead to an increase in blood flow quality at feet. Also, phlebitis can be prevented if you walk every day for 30 minutes.
- If going on a long trip stop frequently (in case you are by car) and make move.
- Going by plane? Move your legs up and down to improve the blood flow. Consume a greater quantity of fluids and avoid alcohol.
- If you can not avoid prolonged bed rest then the advice is to pick up the bed so that your feet stay elevated above the body level. Another tip is to move as much as possible the legs.
- Medical Stockings. Wear medicine socks that will stop the stagnation of blood flow in the superficial vessels of the leg. Pain is also relieved.
- Smoking is not good at all for phlebitis. Give up smoking.
- Take aspirin to lower the risk of phlebitis . Aspirin has a blood-thinning effect. If you stay in bed or you went on a long journey you should take aspirin.
- A beneficial effect also has the vitamin E which can thin the blood. You can take 500 milligrams per day.