Oral Herpes – remedies, tips
A significant percentage of the adult population have antibodies in their blood against Herpes Simplex Virus. In general, these people were exposed in childhood to the action of a highly contagious virus that causes herpes, which is very different from the herpes virus that causes genital herpes.
Normally, after initial eruption the virus remains dormant in nerve cells, but occasionally it is reactivated. Before herpes reappears, you will find an unpleasant sensation of numbness, tingling, burning or itching on the lips or on the skin around the mouth.
There are several steps you can do to lessen the pain caused by herpes and to speed the healing
- Most efficient medicine for herpes is an antiviral cream with the basic substance Acyclovir in a proportion of 5%. It is sold without prescription in pharmacies. Once symptoms appear, apply the cream on the area 5 times a day, 5 consecutive days. Treatment reduces the period of eruption and limits the pain. Acyclovir will take effect if given within 24 hours of the appearance of symptoms of tingling, preceding the actual herpes rash to appears.
- If it is a herpes eruption, leave it alone. Keep clean and dry the herpes eruption.
- Change your toothbrush. Toothbrush can accommodate herpes virus several days. Change your toothbrush when you notice that you are about to make a herpes. By doing so, you prevent multiple herpes eruptions. And once the wound has healed completely, replace your toothbrush again.
- Do not hold your toothbrush in the bathroom. A wet toothbrush kept in a humid environment such as the bathroom, is a perfect environment for Herpes Simplex. Moisture helps to prolong life of viruses hosted by the toothbrush. Keep it in a dry place.
- Use small tubes of toothpaste. The disease can be transmitted through toothpaste. Buy small tubes and replace them often.
- Protect herpes with vaseline. You can protect a herpes rash covering it with a layer of grease. Use a small clean cotton swab.
- Research shows that zinc applied to the first tingling sensation, help reduce the healing time. Try ointments available in pharmacies, with a content of 1% zinc sulfate.
- Identify patterns. What happened in your personal life right before your last herpes eruption appeared? What do you know about earlier herpes eruption? If you discover when you are most prone to herpes eruption, take lysine supplements when you are most vulnerable. Between regular triggers of herpes are stress, menstruation, sunlight, fatigue, various minor ailments and a wide variety of foods.
- Numb it. Most products sold without prescription contain a quantity of emollient that reduces cracks, dries crusts and an agent that numbs, such as phenol and camphor.
- Protect your lips from the sun or wind exposure was cited by all experts as a mean to prevent herpes eruptions.
- Avoid foods high in arginine. Herpes virus, for its metabolism, needs the essential amino acid called arginine. Give up the arginine-rich foods: chocolate, cola drinks, peas, grains, peanuts, jelly, chestnuts and beer.
- Exercise. There is evidence that exercises help to strengthen the immune system. The stronger your immune system is, the body is able to fight with viruses.