It is believed that the destruction of microscopic components of the cells from the ear that help us hear is the cause of tinnitus.
The causes of these injuries: listening to music at very high volume, repetitive noises, problems with blood circulation. Hyperacusis is a symptom that occurs very often in those with tinnitus (high sensitivity to sounds). Tinnitus can occur at any age.
Tips and recommendations for prevention and improvement of tinnitus
- Avoid factors that lead to hearing cells damage: music at high volume, high power motors. A test to determine if ambient noise is too strong: stand at 2 meters of someone and try to tell him something. If you have to raise your voice for the person to hear then surely the noise is too heavy.
- Do not raise up the music volume in-car, in loud clubs or when listening to music through headphones. Otherwise, tinnitus will not delay to appear.
- Earplugs are great when you know you will have to deal with a deafening noise. In music stores you can found the best earplugs because they have plugs that let you hear the music clearly, but at a much lower intensity.
- If you work in noisy environment: wear earmuffs.
- The easiest way to cope a loud noise is to hum something. Humming will help you cover the noise.
- A helpful tip is to let your hairs grow a little over the ears. Tinnitus can be stopped in evolution.
- Whenever you spent some time in noise leave the ears at least 16 hours to rest.
- Have you lost your hearing? Hearing aids can help you successfully.
- At night you can hear the tinnitus more intense (though not so serious, because of the silence around). Put a background sound such as the sound of the radio when the frequency is between stations.
- The brain will ignore the tinnitus if you wear a sound generator (you can find it in the offices of audiology).
- Worsening of tinnitus can be caused by: red wine , chocolate, because these products contain sulfites.
- Meniere’s syndrome can be a cause of tinnitus. To improve you should eat a smaller amount of salt.
- Caffeine can raise the intensity of tinnitus. Coffee, tea and cola contain caffeine.
- Stop smoking because nicotine acts as well as caffeine.
- Drugs: aspirin, diuretics, gentamicin may be the cause of tinnitus.
- Another cause of tinnitus are problems with temporo-mandibular joint – for that you need a dental checkup.
- Remedy: a few days, 2 times a day, apply a few drops of baby oil into the ear . It cleans the ear wax which may increase tinnitus.